We’re well into fall and that means it’s time to take care of some seasonal cleanup and exterior home maintenance before the chill really sets in. The folks here at Centennial Construction & Remodeling Services, Inc. have a handy list to help you with your fall home improvement projects.
- Wash windows, screens, and tracks. Put away the screens for the winter.
- Give the front entry a good cleaning, including the landing, mailbox, doors, door jambs, light fixtures, and railings. It’s amazing how dirty all this can get if you don’t wash it regularly.
- Sweep and wash your driveway, sidewalks, decks, porches, and patio furniture.
- Fan exhausts, dryer vents, HRV/ERV vents and inlets should all get cleaned out. You can find these on the outside wall at the back or side of the house.
- If you haven’t already done so, switch off your air conditioning unit at the electrical panel and cover it up for the winter.
- Once all the cleaning up is done, drain your hoses,put them away, and turn off the outdoor water supply so your pipes don’t freeze.
Roof, Doors, and Windows
- Do a quick visual inspection of your siding to be sure there are no missing pieces, gaps, or pests. You don’t want any moisture or critters getting into your walls or roof and causing more damage. If you see any evidence of damage call in the professionals for siding repair or installation.
- Do a visual inspection of your roofing system and gutters, paying close attention to hail and storm damage as well as tear offs from high winds.
- Clean out the gutters and downspouts so they are free of clogs and pose no threat of leaks or ice damming.
- Install storm doors and storm windows if necessary, especially if you know they will be drafty through the Indiana winter.
- If you know that you require window replacement, don’t put it off until next summer. Try to have them done now so that you don’t spend the winter needing to wear a scarf around the house.
There is a lot to do around the house in fall. More so than in spring, it seems. Once you get all of this done, you deserve to kick back with a warm apple cider and enjoy fall sweater weather. If you have any questions or want to get a quote for exterior contracting services for your Indianapolis area home, contact Centennial Construction & Remodeling Services at (317) 848-7634.