Not only can a burst water pipe cause instant water damage, it can also cause long-term damage by being the start of a mold problem. At Centennial Construction & Remodeling Services, Inc., we’ve dealt with our share of water damage from burst water pipes, and we’ve found that a lot of people have no idea what to do when this happens. No one is ever prepared for a burst pipe situation, and shock can set in.

If you ever find yourself facing this unfortunate problem, here are six immediate steps you need to take.

Step 1: Shut Off the Water

You’ll need to shut off your main water valve. Typically they have a stop tap on them, and if it’s a hot water pipe, you should close the valve that’s on top of the water heater. When you shut this off, it will stop the water flow.

If you don’t know where your water main is right now, find out! In an emergency, this is critical. It could be anywhere on your property, but usually it’s located in the basement.

Step 2: Remove Any Electronics Near the Water

Look around the leak for any electronics that are plugged in, unplug them, and move them safely away. By doing this, you’re preventing the risk of an electrical fire.

water pipe bursts
photo credit: public domain via

Step 3: Call a Professional

Make sure the professional you call is definitely a professional. Check to make sure they are certified, and look on Yelp for their reviews. If your incident happens in the middle of the night, you’ll need to search for 24-hour emergency service.

Step 4: Clean Up as Much as You Can

Once you’ve called the professional, clean up as much of the water as you possibly can. If water is still flowing for whatever reason, find something (like a bucket) to catch the water in.

Step 5: Have a Water Damage Specialist Come

If there seems to be a lot of water damage, you must have a water damage professional come check out the area. If you don’t do this, you could miss important signs that will lead to big problems for your home down the road.

An electrician should also come check everything out to ensure that no electrical elements of your home were damaged. Both the water damage specialist and the electrician should be certified and licensed.

Step 6: File an Insurance Claim

You’ll need to contact your insurance company immediately to begin an insurance claim for the damage. It’s always wise to snap some photos, and your insurance agent may want to visit your home to assess the damage.


At Centennial Construction & Remodeling Services, we handle water damage of all kinds. We proudly serve the Indianapolis, Carmel, Noblesville, Zionsville, Westfield, and Fishers, IN, area, and we will take care of the water damage to your property. Contact us at (317) 848-7634 to find out more.

Comments are closed.