Holiday baking in a poorly laid out kitchen got you down? Nothing says “happy holidays” like bumping elbows with your spouse as you try to sneak past the dishwasher to get the cookies in the oven. If your kitchen needs remodeling to make it more functional or to bring it into the current decade, take a look at these helpful tips from the pros at Centennial Construction & Remodeling Services, Inc.
- Layout. Large or small, having the right layout will make your kitchen more practical, usable, and inviting, all while helping you avoid traffic jams when more than one person is in the kitchen. Having proper work triangles ensures easy flow from one area to the next. Your kitchen designer can work with you to create the best layout for your space.
- Lighting. Having multiple sources of light in the kitchen allows you to pick and choose which lights you have on and for what purpose. No one wants to work in poorly lit spaces, so consider the following:
- Pendant lights over the island or peninsula.
- Task lighting over the kitchen and stove.
- Pot lights for general ambiance.
- Under-cabinet lights to light up the darker areas of the countertops under the upper cabinets.
- Chandelier or other feature fixture over the table or island.
- Natural sunlight from windows and skylights.
- Storage. If there is one area in the house where plenty of accessible storage is key to making the space more practical, it’s the kitchen. Kitchen cabinetry with large and small drawers, a pantry, and keeping things organized can make even the smallest space feel larger. Make sure you have somewhere to “park” your small appliances so that the toaster, bread machine, and coffee grinder aren’t taking up all of the counter space.
- Work surfaces. An island or peninsula will give you space for meal prep, baking, and may even become the point around which your family gathers to chat or do homework. If you don’t have the space for a large island, make sure your layout optimizes the amount of countertop area available so you have enough usable work space.
Whether it’s your kitchen that needs a more practical layout or there’s another area of your home that needs some TLC, you can trust Centennial Construction for your home remodeling. In addition to kitchens, we offer home remodeling, bathroom remodeling, basement finishing, construction services, and exterior home improvements in Indianapolis and the surrounding area. Contact us anytime at (317) 848-7634 to request an estimate or to schedule an appointment.