Summer is all about soaking in the sun, grilling out, and enjoying a glass of lemonade after a long day. What better place to enjoy a summer day than on your back deck? Centennial Construction & Remodeling Services, Inc. of Carmel suggests that adding a deck can create a summer retreat right in your own backyard.
What work goes into building a deck? The DIY Network gives step-by-step plans for how to build a deck, if you decide to proceed on your own. The basic steps to get started on your deck are as follows (note that before building a deck, you will need more detailed instructions than these):
- Step 1: Plan, Plan, Plan. Measure your space, and draw up plans. Be sure to check out local building codes and get the proper permits before building.
- Step 2: Decide on what deck materials best suit you. You have many options out there, from pre-treated lumber to composite decking. Do your research before buying.
- Step 3: Install flashing. Flashing will help protect your home’s siding.
- Step 4: Prep the box sill. To do this, install furring board to the side of the house to allow the box sill to be placed above the basement or foundation.
- Step 5: Place the center beam in the center of the box sill.
- Step 6: Dig footers & pour the concrete. DIY Network suggests contacting a local engineer or deck builder to know what size and weight of footers you need for your particular deck plans.
- Step 7: Make the outer support beam and cut the joists.
- Step 8: Set the joists. You will want to make sure joists are flush with the beam before nailing them into place.
Photo credit: GollyGForce via photopin cc